In childhood, when it would pour cats and dogs, all windows closed, tubelights on during the day, waterlogged streets compelled us to stay indoor. All bored. Only pitter patter sounds of incessant rains. But all smiling face it would be, when ma would break the news that there’s ‘khichudi’ or khichdi cooking in the kitchen. Khichdi can be made in several ways as per method and ingredients. Here I am sharing a Mixed dal Pressure cooked khidchi Recipe which has three kinds of dal, namely, moong dal, masoor dal and chana or cholar dal. For rice, gobindobhog rice is used. As this is a pressure cooker recipe, it’s made in lesser amount of time! You can check out my Bhoger khichudi recipe, which is an open pot method of preparing khichdi Bengali style.
Total cooking time required for Mixed dal Pressure cooked khidchi Recipe: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Mixed dal Pressure cooked khidchi Recipe cooked for 4 people:
The ingredients used in this Mixed dal khidchi Recipe are:
1. 1.5 cup of gobindobhog rice
2. 1/2 cup of masoor dal
3. 1/2 cup of moong dal
4. 1/2 cup of chola dal or gram or chana dal
5. 1 tsp of 5 phoron (whole fenugreek, cumin, randhuni, fennel and onion seeds)
6. 1 tsp turmeric powder
7. Salt to taste
8. 1 tbsp of ghee
9. A pinch of asafetida
10. Mustard Oil or refined oil
11. 2 potatoes cut into halves
12. 2 tsp ginger paste
13. 1 bay leaf
14. 2 red dry chilly
Mixed dal khidchi Recipe – The Method:
The Mixed dal khidchi Recipe goes like this:
1. Mix the 3 types of dals and soak in water for 30 minutes
2.Wash rice. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a wok and fry the potatoes and keep separate
4. In the same oil, drop in bay leaves, chilly and 5 foron. Let them crackle
5. Add ginger and stir
6. Add dals after draining water. Stir fry
7. Add salt and turmeric powder and stir
8. Add rice and stir fry
9. Bring a pan of water to boil
10. Transfer contents of the wok to a pressure cooker, add hot water, fried potatoes. Close lid and pressure cook for 5 – 6 whistles or until the Dal and rice is cooked properly. Switch off flame
11. Once done, open lid of pressure cooker. Add a dollop of ghee, asafetida on top. Let it rest for sometime
Khidchi is ready to eat with fritters/vegetable fry, omelette and papad!
Mixed dal khidchi Recipe for babies:
You can follow this Mixed dal khidchi Recipe and serve babies for their meals. Make sure you add more water and increase the cooking time to ensure the rice and the dals specially the chana or gram dal, is soft and cooked thoroughly. Without using oil, you can use ghee for frying the ingredients. For toddlers above 2.5 years, this Mixed dal khidchi Recipe is surely okay.
Snapshot for Mixed dal khidchi Recipe:
For more rice & roti recipes, please here.
To follow/like us at facebook, please visit our facebook page. Click here.
Please leave a comment here on the Mixed dal khidchi Recipe.