Shukto is a bengali dish that is generally served in the beginning of the meal. It’s bitter in taste. Yet people love it. It’s an essential item in the traditional bengali menu for lunch, especially in birthday parties and several other celebrations. Shukto | Bitter mixed vegetable curry has a lot of variations, but the one with milk is the authentic one. The main ingredient of this dish is bitter gourd. It includes other vegetables like plantain, papaya and potatoes. Also Boris or small sun dried pulse dumplings are added.
Preparing ‘shukto’ in meals not only ensures the presence of a good dish in our meal, but also including this in our menu can make our family eat too many nutritious vegetables at a time, specially the bitter gourd which is overlooked most of the times, otherwise. So just follow the steps below, and ensure good health of your beloved family.
Total cooking time for Shukto | Bitter mixed vegetable curry recipe: 30 minutes
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Ingredients to cook Shukto | Bitter mixed vegetable curry for 4 people:
1. 4 bitter gourds each cut into 4 pieces lengthwise
2. 1 potato cut into 4 pieces lengthwise
3. 1/2 green papaya cut into pieces of similar dimension
4. 1 raw banana or plantain cut into small pieces of similar dimension
5. 1 tsp black mustard seeds
6. Paste of 1 tsp of salt, cumin and coriander powder
7. 2 slit green chillies
8. 1 cup milk
9. 1 cup of boris or sun dried lentil dumplings – deep fried
10. Mustard oil
11. 1 bay leaf
Shukto | Bitter mixed vegetable curry Recipe:
1. Heat oil in a wok and let bay leaf and mustard seeds crackle in it
2. Put all the vegetables in the wok and saute
3. Add powdered masala or spices paste and saute
4. Add 1 cup of water and boil
5. Once vegetables are cooked thoroughly, add fried or roasted Boris and stir
6. Add milk and let it simmer for sometime. Make sure the Boris do not break as they tend to swell and become soft once moisture is added to them
7. Once the desired consistency is achieved, switch off the flame
Shukto is ready to serve